Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Indian Love Story: So It Begins!


Today I leave for India! I have never looked forward to a day more in my life. I am, as they say, like a child on Christmas morning. I am ready to unwrap the wonder of India!!! By Saturday afternoon I will be on a 30 hour train ride with the lovely Miss Ashtari headed from Delhi southward to Rayagada. Southward into the lives of 34 girls, Abraham, Jainy and their two boys.
Abraham smiling at the girls of Assist as they celebrate India's Independence day this past summer.
I am at once undone with this excitement and deeply humbled by what is to come. See, I have learned more about the big things, the capital letter things- Truth, Love, Faith, GOD- from children. So it is that I KNOW I am about to learn unimaginable wisdoms and mysteries infinite these next months. I have been meditating on children this morning while spending these last few hours in the States with my own son. Here are some quotes about children, what they reveal about the shrinking universes of our imaginations and the many universes yet to be revealed...


"Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, "Do it again!"; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again" to the sun; and every evening, "Do it again" to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we." ― G.K. Chesterton


G.K. Chesterton, very much the big kid.
"Children are the hands by which we take hold of heaven." -Harriet Ward Beecher

"Every child born into the world is a new thought of God, an ever fresh and radiant possibility" -Kate Douglas Wiggin


"There are not seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child.  There are seven million."  ~Walt Streightiff

"If we could destroy custom at a blow and see the stars as a child sees them, we should need no other apocalypse." Chesterton

"Become like little children and enter the kingdom of heaven. Taking the lowly position of a child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me. So then, allow the little children, and don't forbid them from coming to me: for of such is the kingdom of Heaven." -Jesus


********************************


So consider the children. As it has been said many times, "Children are one third of our population and all of our future." Over the next weeks and months I will introduce you to a host of beautiful children. I will share with you what they teach me, (if my brain can wrap 'round it!) and perhaps we can all grow a little more child-like, a little more ready for the Kingdom. And...




May you see the world with new eyes, the eyes of a child...





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. There's flashes of envy running through me! Soak it up. Learn as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EM!!!!! I am so at peace!!! I will soak it all in! Promise!

    ReplyDelete