Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Stillness In Between.



For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it’s always ourselves we find in the sea
-e.e. cummings




Sometimes sailboats look like 
Butterflies lighting on the sea
And sometimes the wave whoosh 
Bent by the wet wind sounds like 
A sonogram heartbeat slowed way down
And sometimes silver bait-fish scatter 
Like so many skipped stones
Like cast wishes caught in coins
And sometimes the sun sets a little slower 
Watching its reflection stretch out across the sea
(And sometimes it seems the sea 
Blushes a little at the sun's vanity)
And sometimes the wind over the water 
Is a bloodhound frantic on a lost scent 
And sometimes when the sea laps at the shore 
It hurries back to wash its mouth of the taste
And sometimes the wave crash on the wet sand 
Sounds like the dull thud of a great tree
Felled to the forest floor
And sometimes the sea moans upon her bed
About the power of the moon to move her
That relentless pull, his insatiable longing 
Her oh so lovely highs and lows
And all the stillness in between 




-L'acul, Haiti 4-02-12






2 comments:

  1. Even though I'll be working a quarter mile inland all week, this just makes me want to go see it now.

    I love the sea. Perhaps I'll go now to the pier to see the sun set (and play Ingress)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks to something you wrote planting some little seed in my mind, and my trying to find it, and subsequently finding this, and it inspiring an afternoon walk on the pier, I got a video of a pelican being fed by a fisher.

    ReplyDelete